LEARN MORE ABOUT THE LRPs AND A CAREER IN RESEARCH
News, Events and Information
LRP Success Stories
– What can the LRPs do for you personally and professionally? See what LRP participants
are achieving in their research careers.
– Download the LRP informational flyer for an overview of the loan repayment programs.
LRP Conference Schedule
– Speak with LRP representatives and learn more about the programs at these events.
LRP Ambassador Network
– Connect with current and past recipients who can share their experiences and offer application advice.
Tools and Training
LRP Application Guide
Prepare to complete an LRP application by getting started with this guide. The extramural LRP
application cycle is open September 1–November 15, and starting your preparations as early
as possible can help you avoid being rushed as the deadline approaches.
Tips for Completing a Competitive LRP Application –
A helpful guide on writing a competitive LRP application.
LRP Repayment Estimator –
What can the LRPs do for you financially? Use this tool to approximate the student loan repayment benefits you may
receive as an LRP participant.
Research Priorities and LRP Liaisons for NIH Institutes and Centers (ICs)
– An information and contact list that will help you better understand what each IC is looking for in the
LRP applications it reviews.
ACGME Forms: NIH Form 2674-5 and application workflow chart
– A searchable catalog of federally-funded biomedical research. RePORTER does not advertise open research positions, but it can help you identify labs and investigators that fit with your research plans. You can then inquire about possible opportunities available with them.
NIH Loan Repayment Program Contract
– Download and review the contract you will be asked to sign as an LRP participant.
Glossary of Terms – Review
the definitions of important terms used throughout this website.
Navigating Your Scientific Career Path
– K awards, F32s, LRPs, fellowships, internships–it all can be a bit confusing. No matter where you are in
your research career–from high school student to seasoned investigator–this guide will help you make sense
of your research career opportunities.
NIH Research Training and Research Career Development
NIH Intramural Clinical Training Opportunities
NIH Intramural Postdoctoral Training Opportunities
Funding Opportunities and Other Support
NIH Office of Extramural Research (OER)
– Learn about all of NIHs extramural research and funding opportunities through the OER website.
NIH Extramural Loan Repayment Programs (LRP)
–The official notices about the LRPs in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts.
Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA)
– The NRSA pre- and postdoctoral research training fellowships help ensure that diverse pools of highly-trained
scientists will be available in adequate numbers and appropriate research areas to carry out the nations biomedical,
behavioral, and clinical research agendas. Learn more about this opportunity and how it fits with LRP participation.
Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA)
– A program provided through the National Center for Research Resources, CTSA funds a national
consortium of academic health centers that is transforming how clinical and translational research is
conducted, ultimately enabling researchers to provide new treatments more efficiently and quickly to patients.
Inside the NIH Grant Review Process - If you are searching for additional NIH funding, watch these videos to learn about peer review and gain insight on the application process. Please note that the LRP application and peer review processes differ from those depicted in the videos.
Date Last Updated: February 13, 2014